01 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1854; First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1812 as “The Church of Fayetteville” and originally met in the log courthouse. In 1832, a building for “Fayetteville Presbyterian Church” was erected on the present site. Nineteen years later (1851), this building was destroyed by a cyclone. The old part of the present building was erected from bricks burned on the spot, and dedicated in 1854. Oral tradition is unanimous in saying that the Union Army used the upstairs of the building for a hospital and the basement as a stable during the Federal occupation of Fayetteville. It was May 3, 1908 that the Session met and officially changed the name to “First Presbyterian Church of Fayetteville, Tennessee.” In 1917, the front of the Church was extended twelve feet and the original two columns replaced by four columns. The present education wing was added in 1967.
200 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1895; This house was first used as the manse for First Presbyterian Church.
201 Mulberry Avenue- Davis Auto & Antiques was originally a filling station owned by Mr. and Mrs. W.B. Posey, who opened it in the 1930’s. It later became Halcomb and Posey Buick dealership in the 40’s, and became Roy Warren Buick dealership in the 60’s. Johnny and Pat Davis opened an auto repair shop in the 1970’s. Johnny now restores classic and antique cars. Pat opened his antique shop in 1985.
206 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1920; Presently owned by Mrs. W.B. Posey , the mother of Mrs. Charles Harmering (200 Mulberry). The structure is a two-story Colonial Revival style home. One of the previous owners, Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Terry, owned a dry goods store on the west side of the town square
207 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1880; Mr. and Mrs. John B. Thomison acquired the property in 1900. The Thomisons’ are the grandparents of Mr. Jack Thomison (624 Mulberry), Mr. Hubert Holman (628 Mulberry), and Mr. Burke Holman, Jr. (deceased) and Evalyn Holman Frierson (211 Mulberry).
210 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1895; Known as “The Robertson House,” this structure was originally located on Washington Street. Mr. J.R. Hiller, a lumber and planing mill operator purchased the house and moved it to its present site.
211 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1850 & 1930; Built by Mr. Cornelium Allen, the original style of this house is unknown. It was purchased by Mr. Burke Holman and in 1904 he remodeled the front porch. The entire house was then remodeled in the 1930’s into its current Greek Revival appearance by the Holmans.
303 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1854; this Greek Revival home was built by Reverend Matthew Martin Marshall, minister of the First Presbyterian Church during the Civil War. The smokehouse to the rear of the main house was constructed out of the same brick as the church. This house was remodeled in 1951 by Mrs. Johnson who had an antique shop there for many years.
304 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1911; This house was originally built by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bonner. Mr. Bonner was a passenger train engineer for The Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway. Some of the early occupants were the C.S. Coughran family, and Mr. and Mrs. Robert F. Buchanan.
307 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1909; This house was originally built by Mr. And Mrs. W.G. Cowan. Their children, Dolly, Betsy, W.G. Cowan, Jr., and Martha all grew up here. The ownership of this house has stayed within the family throughout the years.
310 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1905; This Colonial Revival house was built by Mr. and Mrs. Andy Wright. Mr. Wright owned Wright’s dry goods store on the northeast corner of the public square.
311 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1850; Built by the Whitakers, this Colonial Revival house originally had two porches, one facing Mulberry and one facing Green Street. During the 1890’s it was a school for girls. It was remodeled in the mid 1920’s by owner Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fulton. Mrs. Fulton was a drama teacher (known at the time as “expression and physical culture”). It is said that she “had one extravaganza of a play (a Japanese one) and everybody in Fayetteville (young ladies) all had a red and black kimono and a wax paper umbrella for the children to sport.
400 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1900; Mr. and Mrs. W.D. Medearis were early owners of this Colonial Revival Home. Mr. Medearis owned and operated a tannery on a site adjacent to the small stream which became know as Tanyard Branch. He later obtained the first Coca-Cola franchise in Fayetteville. He was also an early manager for the Bell Telephone Company in Fayetteville.
405 Mulberry Avenue- ca505 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1910; this bungalow style house was owned at one time by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Bunn. Mr. Bunn was manager of Fayetteville’s electric power plant and system before TVA.. 1920; Mrs. Sorrells had this Bungalow style house built. She is the grandmother of W. Michael McCown, our present District Attorney.
408 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1850 & 1952; This home is currently owned by Mrs. John V. Matthews. Mr. Matthews’ grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. N.O. Wallace were earlier owners of the house and Mr. Wallace was also one of the early owners and operators of “The Fayetteville Observer” (now The Elk Valley Times). The house was demolished by a tornado in the 1950’s and the present structure was rebuilt from the remains of the original house.
409 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1880; At one time this Italianate style house was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Sivertooth who also owned the Crystal Stream Laundry at the city limits. Later owners included Mr. and Mrs. Frank B. Kelso, grandparents of Admiral Frank B. Kelso.
415 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1900; Built by a Mr. Heymann, at one time an owner of a jewelry store on the northeast corner of the public square. Mr. Heymann sold the house to Mr. Tom Strong, and after several owners, in 1956 the house was bought by Mr. Robert Stevens.
501 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1950; This house was completed in late 1952 and occupied Mr. Don Steuart, and executive with the Borden Company, and his wife from 1953 until 1960. He was transferred to Lewisburg in 1960. Roy Harris purchased the house in 1954 and have lived in it since 1960.
504 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1843; This house was built by Colonel Tilford Gordon who came here from Philadelphia. He later built the house at 606 Mulberry. The house was bought in 1858 by J.B. Lamb and has descended in the Lamb family. The fifth generation, Deimer Lamb III, now lives in the house. His grandmother, Mrs. Diemer Lamb, Sr. (Lila Motlow), completely restored the house in 1946. His grandfather, Diemer Lamb, Sr. was a prominent Fayetteville attorney, and served as Attorney General for the 7th Judicial Circuit from 1918 to 1950
505 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1910; this bungalow style house was owned at one time by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Bunn. Mr. Bunn was manager of Fayetteville’s electric power plant and system before TVA.
509 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1930; Built by Mr. and Mrs. James D. McKinney, Jr. Mr. McKinney and his father owned McKinney’s Drug Store on the northeast corner of the public square.
601 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1882; One of the two Queen Anne style homes on this street, the first house on this site burned the night before the Henry Gillespie family was to move in their new home. The present house was then constructed. The house was once owned by Mrs. Beverly Young (Sarah Buchanan). Mrs. Young’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert F. Buchanan, were one of the owners of“The Lincoln County News” (now Elk Valley Times). Mrs. Young’s grandfather, Major Felix G. Buchanan, CSA, served on General R.E. Lee’s Staff.
605 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1910; This Bungalow style house was built by Mr. and Mrs. Collier Rees. They moved away for several years and during this time Mr. and Mrs. Diemer Lamb and their family (504 Mulberry) lived here. Mr. Rees, along with his father and brother owned a dry goods store, R.A. Rees and Sons.
606 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1850 & 1925; this Georgian Revival house was originally built in 1850 by Colonel Tilford Gordon who first built the Lamb house (504 Mulberry). Legend has it that one day a gypsy fortune teller told Mrs. Gordon that her husband was going to sell the house that they were living in. That night when he came in, he put the money he had gotten for it in her lap. Apparently the gypsy was correct. He then built this house for his wife on a much smaller scale per her request. Later a Mr. Barnett came here from Virginia and married one of the Gordon daughters and they lived in the house. Mr. Barnett’s father was a Union sympathizer and the house was used either as a hospital or Officer’s Quarters during the Civil War. The Barnett’s daughter married Dr. Buckner and they also lived here. Mr. and Mrs. Roy Rees purchased the house from the Buckners and did extensive remodeling and fixed the house to its current appearance.
609 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1895; Known as the “Ladd House”, this two story Colonial Revival structure was built by Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Ladd. Mr. and Mrs. John Groce were the next owners. The present owners, Mr. and Mrs. Francis Tucker, have completely restored the interior as well as the backyard playhouse. This house is a mirror image of the house at 617 Mulberry.
613 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1900; Mrs. William C. Spray is the current owner of this one-story, irregular plan house. Former owners include: Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Bagley, Mr. and Mrs. William Young, and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Carroll.
616 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1850 & 1930; Originally built by Judge James Chilcoat, the first Lincoln County Judge. Mr. Chilcoat was murdered at Mulberry during the Civil War by Yankees. Dr. T.A. Patrick, Sr. first remodeled the original frame house adding a stone veneer to the exterior. Several more remodelings were made by other owners. The wife of owner Dr. Thomas Holman, Selina Moore Holman, was very active in the Women’s Christian Temperance Union and served as the organization’s president for several years. Her portrait hangs in the state capital.
617 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1905; This house was built by Mr. and Mrs. Cole Feeney. Mr. Feeney was a cashier at First National Bank. Later, the Feeney’s next door neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Carroll, purchased the house. Former owners, Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Bingham, did extensive restoration to the interior of the house to bring the structure back to its original shape after it had been made into apartments. This house is a mirror image of 609 Mulberry.
624 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1850 & 1890; Built circa 1865 by Robert E. Lee Bright, the original house was a two-story cabin with one large room on each floor. A new house was eventually built in front of the original one and the two were late joined (1890), forming the house as it is today. Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Thomison purchased the house in 1910 from the Judge Joseph Higgins and wife.
628 Mulberry Avenue- ca. 1900; Built at the turn of the century by Mr. J.L. Newsom, it is said that another house, burned by Mr. Sutton, burned on this site. The property was inherited by Cullen B. Ervin (son of Mrs. Newsom by her second husband). Mr. and Mrs. Holman purchased the property in the late 1930’s from the Ervin estate. Mr. J.L. Newsom was a traveling salesman and later owned and operated a dry goods store on the east side of the public square.