South Elk Avenue
304 South Elk – McKinney-Pitts House – ca. 1820-1825: Federal with Victorian era changes. This 2-story brick home is one of the oldest structures in Fayetteville. The brick was made from clay dug and fired on the property. The house was built by Dr. Charles McKinney (1788-1864), a surgeon in the War of 1812 and the Creek Uprising. Dr. McKinney’s original office was on the site of the present office building which was built ca. 1956. According to one of Dr. McKinney’s granddaughters, the house had the first indoor bathroom in Fayetteville.
305 South Elk – ca. 1920; 1 ½ story brick English Cottage Revival. The longtime home of the late Dr. R.E. McCown.
310 South Elk – McKinney-Williams-Pitts House – ca. 1830; Greek Revival with Victorian era remodeling. 2-story brick. Dr. Charles McKinney built this house as a wedding gift for one of his daughters. When the house was built, Dr. McKinney planted a tree seeding that had been imported from England by a preacher. That sprig, a rare copper beech, grew into a tree which still stands at the north front corner of the house. In later years, the house was the longtime residence of Abednego “Beddie” Williams and family of the Williams Lumber Company.
311 South Elk – Goodrich-Thornton House – ca. 1880; 2-story Victorian Stick Style with corner turret. Built as a wedding present for Mr. and Mrs. Goodrich, this house has never had remodeling to modernize it and retains much of its original appearance.
400 South Elk – McDonald-Bolner House – ca. 1859; Gothic Revival listed on the Historic Register. This is a 1 ½ story brick house on a full, raised, basement. The McDonald-Bolner House, with its heavy, massive details, is the only brick Gothic Revival home in the area, although there are several local examples of Carpenter Gothic houses. According to tradition, the house was built by Dr. R.R. McKinney as a wedding gift for his daughter, Martha Cordelia, and her husband, R.A. McDonald. After McDonald died in 1872, his wife sold the house. In 1916 the house was purchased by a Baptist minister called Preacher Brown, who made several changes in the original structure. The R.A. Pitts family lived there from 1918 to 1955. The house was purchased in 1959 by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas E. Bolner, who completed several restoration projects.
109 East Maple – (S.W. corner of Elk and Maple) – ca. 1940. This is an English Cottage Revival house with 1 ½ story brick veneer and was built for Billy and Rose Foster.