North Elk Avenue
121 North Elk – First Baptist Church (1949-1950) – The Baptist Church in the Lincoln County Village of Mulberry indicate that their congregation was instrumental in the successful Fayetteville organization which was completed in 1881. The first church building, located at 204 East Washington, was destroyed by a tornado that struck on March 27, 1890. By the end of the next year, a new building was completed on the same site, serving the congregation until 1950. The cornerstone for this building has been relocated to the northeast corner of the present church grounds, beneath the church sign. The East Washington Street building, again damaged by a tornado in 1952, is the former home of the Rotary Club. The present church building on North Elk was erected in 1949-1950. In 1962-1963 an education and office building was built across the street and was named in honor of Brother D.D. Smothers, who pastered the church longer than any other pastor in history. The most recent addition, facing North Main Avenue, was completed in 2005.
106 East Washington – St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church (1952) – When the tornado of 1890 demolished so many churches in Fayetteville, the St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church was left untouched. Ironically, it was the only church carrying tornado insurance! Following the destruction of the February 29, 1952 tornado, again churches were destroyed or damaged, including St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church. Unfortunately, it was then among those churches without tornado insurance. Found in the rubble of the elegant stone and wood edifice of the 1884 church was a small ledger in which was recorded much of the history, as such; the church was dedicated on St. Mary Magdalene Day, July 22, 1884; it became a parish in 1890 but lost that status during World War I. After the 1952 tornado, with only about thirty three active members, the church was rebuilt in almost the same spot. However, it was relocated 90 degrees to the south, facing Washington Street, with Elk Avenue to the east. Culver Dozier, a former alter boy, was the architect in 1952. After almost 90 years as a mission, St. Mary Magdalene has become a parish again with nearly sixty families.
301 North Elk – (northeast corner of North Elk and East Washington)- Hugh Bright Douglas-Don Wyatt House, 1894-1895. Queen Anne with Steamboat Gothic style 2-tier wrap-around porches, 2 ½ story frame, and listed on the National Register. The house contains the owner’s antique shop on the first floor, and the residence on the second floor. Built as a townhouse for Hugh Bright Douglas, who owned a 1450 acre farm three miles east of Fayetteville, the house was designed by the Nashville architectural firm of Rickman and Bills and was built by a Lincoln County builder named Ray. The hardwoods used in the house were cut from Mr. Douglas’ farm, and all the original woodwork remains. He was the grandson of James Bright and the son of William Byrd Douglas. During the Civil War, Hugh Bright Douglas served under Generals Nathan Bedford Forrest and Joe Wheller. After the war he married Margaret Terrett of Nashville; their son, Byrd, inherited the house after his mother’s death. His daughter, Sarah Byrd Douglas Posey inherited the house after her father’s death in 1958. Mr. Don Wyatt, the current owner, purchased the property from Mrs. Posey in 1961.