East Washington Street
206 East Washington – ca. 1900. A late Victorian era, 1-story brick building with segmental-arched windows. The original front porch spanning the width of the façade was destroyed in the 1890 tornado and has been changed. The home, built by Hugh Cummins for Mr. Drennon, is owned by Gayle Chumbley. The vacant lot next door to the east was the site of a home that was destroyed by a gas explosion caused by the tornado of 1952.
209 East Washington – Washington Street Church of Christ – 1890-1951. Around 1835, Dr. John McKinney and family, along with John Goodrich and his wife, moved to Fayetteville where they began the work of establishing a congregation of primitive Christians
303 East Washington - ca.1900 Post-Victorian era 1-story farm house
304 East Washington – ca. 1900. A late Victorian era 2-story frame house. The original ornate front porch, destroyed by the 1890 tornado, has been changed, and the house now contains apartments. Early in the century, it was the home of Henry K. Holman, a prominent businessman.
305 East Washington – ca. 1890. Late Victorian era 2-story frame house. This home was, at one time, the Church of Christ parsonage and the home of the Womack family for many years.
306 East Washington – ca. 1950. 1 ½ story brick house.
307 East Washington – ca. 1880. An 1-story Italiante house with vernacular Gothic trim and rounded arch windows. This was the longtime home of the Joe Faison family. The east boundary of this lot was the original eastern boundary of Fayetteville as shown on the 1810 town plat.
308 East Washington – ca. 1900. A Post-Victorian era 1-story frame house with a 2 story addition in the rear. This house now contains apartments. The east boundary of this lot was the original eastern boundary of Fayetteville as shown on the 1810 town plat.
311 East Washington – ca. 1880. This is a 2-story Italiante home with Gothic and Eastlake style trim and rounded-arch windows. The house was originally built by Judge N.P. Carter.
312 East Washington – Carter-Green-Campbell House – 1892. A 1 ½ story Dutch Colonial Revival frame house with shingles and stone. Built by Judge N.P. Carter, the home is owned by Mrs. Gordon Campbell. Predating the present house are an earlier brick kitchen-servant house that is now used as an apartment. The patio is constructed of brick that was probably made on site.
313 East Washington – ca. 1890. This is a 1-story house Late-Victorian era with segmental-arched widows. This house was built by Capt. Hagey who worked for the railroad. Carl Higgins was the previous owner of the house and sold it to G.A. Groce who has owned it for 30 years.
400 East Washington – 1905. A Post-Victorian era, 2-story frame house with aluminum siding. This home was built for Mr. Jim Ralston by Mr. Hugh Cummins. Wood for framing the house was cut from red oak trees on the Ralston family farm west of town. Ella Mae Stewart was the next owner of the home. In 1959, the Ed Berger family bought and converted it from apartments back to a single-family residence. A small lot directly west of the Berger home, and now part of their yard, was the site of the Carter Rutledge home, now demolished.
401 East Washington – ca. 1900. A 1 ½ story brick Bungalow house. This house was originally built by Mrs. Annie Davis.
403 East Washington – ca. 1900. A Colonial Revival 1 ½ story frame house. Built by timber and planning mill operator Joe R. Hiller, this house was formerly the long-time home of the Parsons family.
404 East Washington – Lamb-Rice-Warren House – 1888. A Late-Victorian era 2-story brick house. This “antebellum” type home was built by W.B. Douthit. William B. Lamb was one of the various owners. He was an attorney for the railroad and was a brother to attorney Deimer Lamb, Sr. Later owners were Mr. and Mrs. Holden (Ty) Rice. Mrs. Rice ran a gift shop on the south side of the square for several years. Their daughter, Adnia Rice, who played in Broadway’s “Music Man” among many other productions, was also a renowned drama teacher at Lincoln County High School.
405 East Washington – 1930. This is a 2-story Colonial Revival house that has been enlarged from its original 1 ½ stories. The house was built by Joe R. Hiller in the same year he built its neighbor, 403 East Washington. He had purchased a circa 1895 house on a large lot on East Washington, moved the older house to an adjacent lot facing Mulberry Avenue (the house now at 210 Mulberry), and built two houses on the remaining lot.
408 East Washington – Bright-Wright-Rees House – ca. 1858. This is an Italiante 2- story brick house listed on the National Register. Built between 1850 and 1858 by James R. Bright, the house is constructed of handmade brick, as are the front porch, steps, sidewalks, terraces, and garden walls. Subsequent owners were W.N. Wright, Hiram Higgins, C.B. Pearson, Harriet Sheddon, Mary Medearis, Ernest Rees, Jr., and Jane M. Rees. The Rees family sold the home to David and Michal Payne in 1996.