Camp Blount Historic Site

Administration

Related Pages

Camp Blount Historic Site
CampBlount

Historic Camp Blount, located on the banks of the Elk River two miles south of downtown Fayetteville, TN, is the site where General Andrew Jackson mustered troops for the Creek Indian War in October of 1813 as part of the War of 1812. The warring Creeks had massacred 250 men, women and children at Fort Mims. The Creeks were severely defeated at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend with the death of 900 braves and the loss of about 45 men in Jackson's forces. Nine months later, soldiers under Jackson again mustered at Camp Blount and marched to New Orleans to be a part of the Battle of New Orleans and the final defeat of the British forces and the end to Great Britain's goal to colonize America.

This lead to General Andrew Jackson becoming the 7th President of the United States, and the turnout of Tennessee volunteers gave the state its nickname, the "Volunteer State."

The 40-acre Camp Blount property was officially purchased by the Tennessee Historical Commission in October of 2016 to be developed as the Camp Blount Historic Site. Plans for the Historic Site include:
  • Three Historic Trails, composing of the stories of the War of 1812, General Andrew Jackson becoming President Andrew Jackson, and the Creek & Cherokee Indian Involvement
  • Wayside Informational Markers
  • Volunteer Statue dedicated to Tennessee's First Volunteer
The Historical Site is located at 1202 Huntsville Hwy, Fayetteville, TN 37334, behind the River Oak Shopping Center. The official website at campblount.com contains more historical information about the Camp Blount site, and contact information as well as current developments.

© 2018 Fayetteville, TN 110 Elk Avenue South, Fayetteville, TN 37334 | (931) 433-6154  Photos by Paul Henry, Elk Valley Times

Powered By Revize Login